Government, Corporate and Industry Partnerships
FAC resources provide a number of unique capabilities conducive to research partnerships with government agencies, national laboratories, a wide variety of academic units, law enforcement, medical examiners, clinical medicine and private industry. Currently we have research and product testing partnerships with Oak Ridge National Laboratories (ORNL), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and several U.S. and international private companies.
Benefits of an FAC Partnership
- The FAC can form partnerships with companies for product development, testing and validation in a variety of technological industries, including orthopedics, radiological imaging, biometrics, remote sensing, chemical detection, genetics and geophysics.
- The FAC Director and Associate Director have obtained security clearances to facilitate sensitive research as well as development and testing of classified equipment.
- Research and product testing can be conducted on donated human subjects that cannot be performed on living humans or animals, including trauma, invasive microbiology, and radiological diagnostics.
- Many of the pre-donors to the Body Donation Program have graciously agreed to participate in IRB-approved studies of living subjects, including medical, genetic, microbiology, and biometric research.
- The FAC is currently conducting two three-year mass grave projects for testing remote sensing technology and culminating in international field schools in 2016 and 2017.
- The caliber of research has earned a number of prestigious grants from the National Institutes of Justice (NIJ) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Our research and facilities attract the highest caliber of students and faculty to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Moreover, scores of U.S. and international scholars conduct research at the Anthropology Research Facility and with the skeletal collections every year.
- Rated one of the top 10 “Most Awesome College Labs” in 2013 by Popular Science.
Learn more about the capabilities of our Research and Collections . All requests for government, corporate and private industry-sponsored research and development must go through the FAC research review panel. Please read the research protocols and complete a research request form found on the Research Request and Applications page. Any research with living subjects must receive IRB approval.
The University of Tennessee Foundation (UTFI) is able to receive financial and in-kind gifts as well as equipment donations that are designated for specific units, including the Forensic Anthropology Center. Current needs of the FAC include imaging equipment, vehicles and financial support. Please see the Financial Donations webpage for more information on our funding and equipment needs. For more information on how to make a gift to the FAC please contact:
Director of Development
College of Arts and Sciences
Phone: (865)974-7692 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org