Thinking about donating your body to science? Read on to find out about our unique body donation program.
Click here for some Fast Facts about our Body Donation Program.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding body donation.
The Department of Anthropology receives over one hundred body donations a year. All donations are placed at the Anthropological Research Facility, with the remains eventually accessioned into the William M. Bass Donated Skeletal Collection.
Below, information about the donor program is provided, including links to documents for potential donors to complete and return.
Please direct all questions and correspondence to:
Dr. Lee Meadows Jantz
Coordinator of the Forensic Anthropology Center
Department of Anthropology
250 South Stadium Hall
Knoxville, TN 37996-0760
Phone: (865) 974-4408
- Please Read the Forensic Anthropology Donation Program Policy.*
- Donation of your body to the Department of Anthropology does not prevent donation of other tissues or organs.
- We do not accept donations in cases where the individual has contracted the AIDS virus, any Hepatitis (A, B, or C), tuberculosis (TB) or antibiotic resistant bacterial infections such as MRSA.
- There is no cost to you or your family for the donation of your body to the Department of Anthropology if you are in Tennessee and within 100 miles of Knoxville. However, if you are more than 100 miles from Knoxville, or outside the state of Tennessee (regardless of mileage) at the time of your death, your family will be responsible for arranging transportation of your body to our facility. Please contact a local funeral service to discuss the necessary arrangements.
- If you wish to donate your body:
- Complete and return the Body Donation Document*. The document requires two additional signatures. We suggest multiple copies of the Body Donation Document be made and maintained by the donor's next-of-kin, attorney, or physician. We also recommend that you seek the advice of a private attorney to assure that the document accomplishes your intent and is consistent with any existing testamentary documents.
- Complete and return the Biological Questionnaire*. It is very helpful to have documentation of known medical conditions if at all possible. All information is considered confidential.
- Please send a photograph of yourself (via mail) to keep in our records. A frontal view of the face is preferred (similar to a passport or driver's license photo), but any photograph is acceptable. We request a photograph so research involving facial reconstruction and photographic superimposition as a means for identifying unknown individuals may be conducted on skeletal remains of known individuals.
- You will receive a Donor Card to keep in your records and assist you in making your wishes known.
- Click here for the complete Body Donation Packet*
If you are a funeral home seeking to make arrangements for an already deceased individual, please contact the Forensic Anthropology Center directly at 865-974-4408.
If you are a researcher interested in research opportunities using the FAC facilities and collections, please refer to the Research page for more information.
* If you cannot view the above PDF donation documents, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat reader